Take a walk with us
The fairy tale forest has two entrances. There is an entrance close to the entrance to the park itself which leads directly to the Pinocchio fairy tale. This is tempting as is easiest to get to but if you go through this gate and follow the path, you will either miss 4 fairy tales or only see 4 fairy tales depending on which direction you choose to go.
Therefore we would strongly recommend the other original entrance (pictured above) built in 1954, which is colloquially referred to as 'De Heksenpoort' or 'The Witches Gate'.
This entrance is situated across from the Diorama and Steam Caroussel.
In front of the entrance is a gazebo which the 'Fairy Tale Gatherer' frequents.
If you enter through this gate it is much easier to follow the widest path that takes you past every fairy tale in the forest
f you follow the path correctly it should take to past the fairy tales in the below order.
1) De Sprookjessprokkelaar (The Fairy Tale Gatherer)
2) Doornroosje (Sleeping beauty) Find out more!
3) Het Kabouterdorp (The Gnome village) Find out more!
4) De Zes Dienaren (The Six Servants) Find out more!
5) Roodkapje (Little Red Riding Hood) Find out more!
6) Pinokkio (Pinocchio) Find out more!
7) De Rode Schoentjes (The Red Shoes) Find out more!
8) De Trollenkoning (The Troll King) Find out more!
9) Het Stoute Prinsesje (The Naughty Princess) Find out more!
10) Raponsje (Rapunzel) Find out more!
11) De Kleine Zeemeermin (The Little Mermaid) Find out more!
12) Draak Lichtgeraakt (The Cranky Dragon) Find out more!
13) De Wolf En De Zeven Geitjes (The Wolf and The Seven Kids) Find out more!
14) Hans En Grietje (Hansel and Gretel) Find out more!
15) Vrouw Holle (Mother Holle) Find out more!
16) Kleine Boodschap (Little Message)
17) Herberg De Ersteling (Inn Ye Firstling) Find out more!
18) De Bruidsjurk Van Guinevere (Guinevere's Bridal Gown) Find out more!
19) Sneeuwwitje (Snow White) Find out more!
20) De Zes Zwanen (The Six Swans) Find out more!
21) Assepoester (Cinderella) Find out more!
22) De Kikkerkoning (The Frog Prince) Find out more!
23) De Magische Klok (The Magic Clock) Find out more!
24) De Indische Waterlelies (The Indian Water Lilies) Find out more!
25) The Fairy Tale Puppet Theatre Find out more!
26) Klein Duimpje (Tom Thumb) Find out more!
27) Repelsteeltje (Rumpelstiltskin) Find out more!
28) Het Meisje Met De Zwavelstokjes (The Little Match Girl) Find out more!
29) Kniesoor (Mopey) Find out more!
30) De Nieuwe Kleren Van De Keizer (The Emperor's New Clothes) Find out more!
31) Sprookjesboom (Fairy Tales Tree) Find out more!
32) De Tuinman En De Fakir (The Gardener and The Fakir) Find out more!
33) De Chinese Nachtegaal (The Chinese Nightingale) Find out more!
There are many shortcut paths throughout the forest, all of which are shown on the Efteling Map. These are usually narrower than the main path and can be useful. For instance if you need to get somewhere quickly, like if you need to get to a loo quickly or if you are really hungry and want to find someplace to eat or if you need shelter from the rain.
The fairy tale forest is easily accessible to wheelchair users however some sections of the path can be quite bumpy.
1954: Witch gate is built
The Fairy Tale Forest is opened on 31 May. Efteling now consists of some 65 hectares of nature, including water gardens, a playground, tennis courts and football pitches and ten fairy tales. These earliest fairy tales are: Sleeping Beauty’s Castle, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the Frog Prince, the Magic Clock, the Chinese Nightingale, the Talking Parrot, Longneck, the Gnome Houses, Mistress Holle’s well and Little Message. Anton Pieck drew the designs and Peter Reijnders was the technician who brought them to life. There are 222,941 visitors and an entrance ticket costs 80 cents (€ 0.36).